mandag 12. april 2010

AMD's first good laptop CPU?

So it's no secret, if there was a scale or a marker between AMD and Intel and the middle represented complete objectiveness, Yes I am indeed closer to AMD than Intel, why? Simple, AMD is the smaller company, but they are also the only company competing with Intel, So for the idiots I so often read being way too fanboyish in this "fight" rooting for AMD's demise, I always tell, well it's going to suck without AMD you wouldn't have the I7 or the entire Core 2 Duo/Quad if AMD had never been there to compete, you would probably still be struggling to keep you Prescott P4 cold, and sucking on Hyperthreading on a singel core CPU.

But as much as I like AMD I've always told myself I won't buy a bad products, not even from AMD, I didn't buy the Phenom because of the whole TLB thing, and I haven't bought a laptop with AMD, I've sometimes suggested it just to find that yeah it was cheap, but it sadly gets very hot, the reason for this I guess is that AMD is using a arrchitecture for all their CPU's that originally was intended for Desktop and Server use, and it seems they can never get a CPU to be as cool or efficient on laptop as Intel. Intel not too long ago released the Atom CPU, it's basically making a CPU as powerefficient as possible, but also as small as possible and it won't really need to be a great CPU performance wise, so a singel core 1.6GHz Atom will perform about the same as a 900MHz Pentium 3, but that's still pretty cool because the Atom really uses a small amount of energy. So I was looking with interest at AMD's competing offering, and there were the Neo CPU that is basically a cut down Athlon 64, so I was skeptical with how good it actually be, I've only had my hands onto one model the HP DV2 And I have to admit the design was sexy, but it was sadly the typical AMD laptop experience, it was hot and not really as close to the Atom as I'd like. Well lately I service the Packard Bell Dot M/A NC900 netbook PC, and my favorite kind of service, stresstesting! And I'm happy to say that after about 20 hours of stresstesting it's not too hot, it's in fact perfect, the design is sexier and even smaller than the DV2, the screen is HD despite the fact that it's only 11.6" It has a nice webcam, and it has onboard ATI graphics, you should be able to watch HD movies on this little bastard, the CPU is a 1200MHz Athlon 64, now the Original Athlon or K7 core was in fact faster than Pentium 3 and this is the Athlon 64 core so this should be quite a lot faster than the Atom CPU, I haven't yet been able to check the Battery yet, but this is definitely a small and lovely laptop I'd love to own with AMD in for once.

What excites me about this is this laptop represents the way I want AMD to go, like Intel they should offer complete platforms and make them good, they already do that, like the Puma platform, but the Puma has the performance, but lacks the experience you get with a Intel Centrino Duo mobile, fast and cool, and it seemed like AMD needed to find something to work from, the one thing AMD would excel at, is platform, they have the best low power chipset, they are both cool and very powerful compared to Intels onboard offerings. With the right CPU or mobile architecture they will not only be able to keep up with Intel on Server and desktop machines, and as I've said a million times, I want competition all over, that means progress, my favorite scenario is AMD 49 and Intel 49% constantly fighting over the last two percent with a lot of great products.

But yeah this does more show that the Athlon 64 when scaled down and tweaked makes a very decent mobile CPU, it's far from having an actual mobile architecture just yet, I do however belive it gives the Mobile team at AMD goals and guidelines, and damnit I want a competing AMD laptop platform! hehe.

I'm still working on the Part 2 of my PC guide the Cheap gamer part, but the thing is I have to do some research plus I work a lot of overtime So hang in there, it's coming! :P.

The laptop I talked about is here

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar