fredag 6. august 2010

FroYo for the Desire.

So I bought a HTC Desire to replace my Nokia E51 phone, and although on paper they can much of the same, I'm glad to say that the Desire is a lot better, but I will write a review on that later.

So about a week ago Sunday afternoon, I was searching for updates like crazy because HTC announced that us Desire folks would get an update, basically it was updating Android 2.1(Eclair) to Android 2.2(Frozen Yoghurt aka. FroYo), doesn't sound of much does it? Well thanks to some tweaks in the compiler this "small" update brought along with it about 450% extra performance to Android devices, atleast in tests, so do your phone feel 450% faster? Well of course not to be honest, it's definitely faster, I can do things I didn't do before, so the improvement is there, that there's no doubt about, just don't expect your phone to compete with your laptop(just yet! :P), there were other things, like Flash, which I enjoyed a lot, I often watch pages that are flash only, Zero Punctuation most often I would say, and it ran perfect, when the video loads it lags a little but when that's done the video might as well take place on your computer, that's how nice it runs, which blew my mind as I've seen PC's I wouldn't dare move in on a flash heavy site as escapistmagazine.com. They also updated the camera, with the gained performance they were able to bring along 720P recording, it's not perfect, but it's still damn impressive, when the lighting is ok everything looks just sweet. Then there's just a few things like a HTC app that allows you to turn on the light for the camera, and that's one impressive light! if you have one and you don't feel like sending it in for repair, I suggest you don't leave it on for very long at the time, or atleast keep to the dimmest of the 3 light settings, not that it matters it would still serve well as a light tower one foggy night, that's how damn bright this thing is :P. Keyboard has been updated as well as the messaging system, it's now a lot easier to change language, and to attach files to your messages.

This is one of these updates that makes you have a renewed interest in your phone, I find myself just going through the menus, cleaning up messages or something like that because it's a joy to toy around with the phone and see that AMOLED screen just breeze through the menus and pictures.

One last thing I want to comment on, is Google's Naming scheme, it's pretty damn epic, I'm into tech in PC's and they will name their architectures with Latin, or greek, words and city names, where I think Google is the only one who thought; How about them desserts? In case you're wondering the next Android will be named Gingerbread, there's a little confusion as to what version it will be, if Google will jump to 3.0 or it will be 2.3, but that doesn't matter because FroYo is definitely with the time, and we can relax before demanding our next update.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar